In this lesson, we are going to learn about the different parts of a flower. We will also learn about the stages of a life cycle of a flowering plant as well as some different methods for pollination and seed dispersal.
Unit Overview: Reproductive cycles
- Describe the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird
- Describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
- Describe how living things are classified into broad groups according to common observable characteristics and based on similarities and differences, including micro- organisms, plants and animals
- Give reasons for classifying plants and animals based on specific characteristics
In this lesson, we are going to learn about the differences between sexual and asexual reproduction, particularly in plants. We will also learn about different methods of asexual reproduction in plants, including bulbs, runner plants and tubers. Finally, we will write up an experiment which will test whether you can clone a potato.
In this lesson, we are going to learn about the differences in the life cycles of amphibians and insects. We will learn what life cycles are as well as focusing on metamorphosis.
In this lesson, we will learn about sexual reproduction in mammals. We will also examine the life cycle of mammals, particularly the gestation period. Then, we will learn about the different groups of mammals. Finally, we will present and interpret data.
In this lesson, we will learn about the life cycle of a bird, particularly focusing on a chicken. We will also look at the differences between a hatchling, nestling and fledgling. We will discuss and label the anatomy of a chicken egg. Finally, we will discuss strategies which birds use to attract mates.
In this lesson, we will be recapping the life cycles of insects, amphibians, mammals and birds. We will also be completing an independent project where we research the life cycle of an animal of our choice.
Units in Science
- Practical skills
- Raw and synthetic materials
- Light & dark
- States of matter
- Rock cycle
- Human anatomy
- Electrical circuits
- Separating mixtures
- Physical and chemical changes
- Reproductive cycles
- Notable scientists
- Particles in physical and chemical changes
- Humans and animals over time
- Diet and lifestyle
- History of science