In this lesson, we will learn how to read and interpret maps using grid referencing. We will explore how to locate features on a map using grid references and gain an understanding of the importance of this skill in Outdoor and Adventurous Activity (OAA).
Unit Overview: Outdoor and adventurous activity: Developing critical thinking
In this lesson, we will learn how to find directions by locating north without a compass, where we will discover how to make a compass using items we have available to us. We will explore the different directions and complete some physical challenges based around direction.
In this lesson, we will learn how to plan and organise a route. This lesson will bring together skills learnt in lesson 1 and 2, applying them to safe route planning. We will explore some technical terms associated with route planning and complete a challenge to follow planned routes.
In this lesson, we will learn how to send non-verbal communication using semaphore flags. We will explore how different flag positions relate to different letters of the alphabet and learn how to send messages. We will complete some physical challenges whilst also coding, sending and decoding messages.
In this lesson, we will learn how to use accuracy and precision to hit different targets. We will explore the flight of different items and materials when thrown at a target whilst focusing on the life skills of resilience and resourcefulness.
In this lesson, we will learn how to apply the life skills of creative thinking and fluency of ideas to solve the problem of building bridges and towers. We will include the planning and completion of a physical challenge based on the outcome of the building work.
Units in Physical Education
- Health related exercise activity: components of fitness
- Dance activity: an introduction to choreographic processes, devices and intention, performing set choreography and devising of individual work
- Games activity: developing fundamental and transferable skills
- Athletic activity: acquiring techniques
- Outdoor and adventurous activity: following instructions and problem solving skills
- Health related exercise activity: personalised fitness
- Dance activity: developing the use and application of appropriate action, space and dynamics linked to the intention of seeing 'below the surface'
- Games activity: analysing and improving performance
- Athletic activity: developing power, strength and speed
- Outdoor and adventurous activity: Developing critical thinking