In this lesson, we will learn about potential risks of being online. This includes people pretending to be someone they are not or someone being abusive. We will also learn about malicious software, mis-sharing of information and exposure to misinformation. We will build up a toolkit of strategies to manage online issues.
Unit Overview: Online and media: Harmful contact
In this lesson, we will learn about the implications of excessive screen time. We will examine sensible limits and the effects of excessive screen time on our physical and mental wellbeing.
In this lesson, we will learn about data generation and usage. We will explore how data can be collected and manipulated.
In this lesson, we will learn about sharing and removing material online. We will recap our learning about our digital footprints, and the issues associated with this. We will also examine our right for erasure, privacy and security.
In this lesson, we will learn about the risks of unknown people online. This will include the risks of sharing personal information and anything 'compromising'. We will also learn about the risks involved with joining groups promoting extreme views or spreading misinformation. Finally, we will examine the risks associated with meeting people known only in the online world. This lesson covers some content that may be a sensitive topic for you. We recommend checking with a trusted adult before starting or doing the lesson with a trusted adult nearby.
Units in RSHE (PSHE)
- Families: Relationships and human happiness
- Respectful relationships: Respect and friendship
- Online and media: Rights, responsibilities and keeping safe
- Mental wellbeing: Talking about emotions
- Internet safety and harms: Reality vs the online world
- Healthy lifestyles: Physical fitness and healthy eating
- Health and prevention: Basic health
- Changing adolescent body: Puberty and menstrual wellbeing
- Families: Stable relationships and marriage
- Respectful relationships: Stereotypes and bullying
- Online and media: Harmful contact
- Mental wellbeing: Recognising concerns
- Internet safety and harms: Body Image
- Drugs and alcohol: Smoking and Alcohol
- Health and prevention: Sleep and routines
- First aid
- Families: Being safe and reporting concerns
- Respectful relationships: Recognising and reporting criminal behaviour within relationships
- Online and media: Indecent image sharing
- Being safe: The law (consent, exploitation, and harassment)
- Intimate relationships: Positivity and health
- Mental wellbeing: Common types of ill health
- Internet safety and harms: Relationships and social media
- Drugs and alcohol: Prescription and illegal drugs
- Health and prevention: Immunisation and vaccination