In this lesson, we will learn about what is important in a healthy diet. We will discuss the seven nutrients we need to know as well as their role in the body.
Unit Overview: Diet and lifestyle
- Identify and name the main parts of the human circulatory system, and describe the functions of the heart, blood vessels and blood
- Recognise the impact of diet, exercise, drugs and lifestyle on the way their bodies function
- Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
- Describe the changes as humans develop to old age
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition, and that they cannot make their own food; they get nutrition from what they eat.
For next step we recommend the unit: Human anatomy.
In this lesson, we will learn about different lifestyles and characteristics and how these will affect the amount of energy that those people need. We will also learn about nutritional deficiencies as well as discuss whether there could be a solution to all of our unbalanced diet problems.
In this lesson we will learn about muscles and how they work. We will also learn what happens to our muscles when we exercise and how people strengthen and grow their muscles.
In today's lesson, we will be learning all about the circulatory system and the effect exercise has on this system. First, we will discuss what the circulatory system is. Then, we will identify how the circulatory system connects to the muscles. We will then be measuring our own heart rate and conducting a small exercise experiment where we will compare our resting heart rate to our heart rate after completing an exercise.
In this lesson, we will learn what drugs are and therefore what medicinal drugs are. We will learn about different examples of medicinal drugs, including painkillers, antibiotics and anaesthetics. Finally, we will apply our knowledge of medicinal drugs to different scenarios. For some people this will be a sensitive topic. If that applies to you, you may want to do the rest of this lesson with a trusted adult nearby who can support.
In this lesson, we will learn about non-medicinal drugs, such as alcohol and nicotine. We will learn about the effects of alcohol on the body as well as the negative consequences of consuming products with nicotine, like cigarettes or vaping. Finally, we will work on applying our knowledge to real life scenarios. For some people this will be a sensitive topic. If that applies to you, you may want to do the rest of this lesson with a trusted adult nearby who can support.
Units in Science
- Practical skills
- Raw and synthetic materials
- Light & dark
- States of matter
- Rock cycle
- Human anatomy
- Electrical circuits
- Separating mixtures
- Physical and chemical changes
- Reproductive cycles
- Notable scientists
- Particles in physical and chemical changes
- Humans and animals over time
- Diet and lifestyle
- History of science