Lesson overview: How far did John Snow change ideas about the prevention of disease?View in classroom
In this lesson you will learn how John Snow challenged 19th century beliefs about the causes of cholera. You will discover the experiment he took and how the British government responded to his discovery. You will consider whether John Snow changed ideas about how to prevent cholera.
30 lessons in Medicine through time, c.1250-present day:
- How much medical progress did ancient Greece and Rome make?
- What did people think about where disease came from in medieval Britain?
- How did people in medieval times try to prevent and cure diseases?
- Who did people go to for medical help in medieval times?
- What can the Black Death tell us about medieval medicine?
- How much medical progress was made during medieval Britain?
- Why was there greater medical progress between 1500-1700?
- Why did ideas about causes of disease change between 1500-1700?
- How did individuals change medical understanding between 1500-1700?
- How did ideas about the cause of disease change between 1700-1900?
- Why did ideas about the cause of disease change between 1700-1900?
- How did ideas about causes of disease change after 1900?
- How quickly did ideas about causes of disease change and why did ideas change over time?
- Did ideas about prevention and treatment change between 1500-1700?
- How did approaches differ in dealing with the Great Plague compared to the Black Death?
- When did vaccination really start to make a difference to health in Britain?
- How far did John Snow change ideas about the prevention of disease?
- How and why did ideas about responsibility for public health change?
- How did hospitals change over time and improve prevention and treatment of illness and disease?
- Why were there improvements in surgery?
- Did the NHS transform medicine in Britain?
- How far did treatment advance in the 20th century?
- How important was the role of chance in the discovery and development of penicillin?
- How has the use of science and technology changed ideas around the treatment and prevention of lung cancer?
- How quickly did ideas about prevention and treatment of disease change and why did ideas change over time?
- How were trenches designed and why did battles on the Western Front lead to medical advancement?
- What medical conditions were there on the Western Front?
- How far did war on the Western Front give rise to new techniques in medical treatment?
- How were wounded soldiers helped on the Western Front?
- How far did WW1 accelerate medicine and treatment in the 20th century?